09 August 2008

Vegetarian Quorn Helper

This is a vegetarian version of Hamburger Helper made with Quorn brand grounds! I'm a big fan of the Quorn grounds, and all Quorn products really. They're not vegan though, they contain egg, so thats a little bit of a bummer, but they really do an amazing job. ANYWAY, this was not made with A box of Hamburger Helper or anything, but it does remind me of it.

I was happily making a box of macaroni and cheese, and since I am trying to use up all the food items in my house right now before I go shopping again, I decided I would add something to the macaroni to make it last longer. In the freezer - half a bag of Quorn grounds! Lovely! Topped off with the cheese mix from the mac & cheese, milk, tomato sauce, and fresh tomato.

Box of Mac & Cheese (I was using fancy Annie's Organic Whole Wheat)
1/2 bag of Quorn grounds
some sort of oil
milk
tomato sauce
tomato
salt
garlic powder
various herbs & spices

Cook up box of mac and cheese. Strain mac and cheese. Defrost and warm through half bag of Quorn grounds in the same pot with a little oil (I used grapeseed), throwing in a little salt, black pepper, and garlic to season them. Add back the mac and cheese and make the cheese sauce as it says on the package. You can stop at this point if you want! Or continue....

I like the fresh chopped tomatoes on it especially, so you need that. I also threw in a little milk and tomato sauce on it when I reheated it later, and that spiced it up. The last time I made it, before I ran out, I had milk and tomato sauce, which I cooked down a little with the mac & cheese. I also added chili paste for a little heat, oregano, garlic, and marjoram. Fresh tomatos on top, and it was yummy!

1 comment:

Greg Turco said...

How much water ended up on the floor?