12 August 2008

Alarm!!!

Phillippe was acting weird... He was hanging out in the back corner while the other fish were snuffling around. I did an ammonia test! There's somewhere around .25 ppm in there now! I put the old biowheel that I had forgotten about in the tank - probably won't do much good now. I also put in some Amquel... Although youre not supposed to do that so much when youre cycling. Poor Phillippe! I also gave them some food so Phillippe would come out and now he is acting normal and active. Maybe he was just hungry and not feeling well... You can't overfeed when youre cycling though because whatever doesn't get eaten decomposes into more ammonia and nitrates and whatever! But he likes eating so much, thats how he got so big in the first place!

Here's a picture of shiny-sparkle Phillippe, he is so iridescent these days.

Update: This is the state of my tank. I have decided the plants need more light since my new hoods are crappy and I have two 18 inchers in this tank, whereas in the other one I had two 24 inchers for less tank! So, here is the temporary solution: The old lights propped up on the tank. Notice how much more light is getting in on that side. Also notice the old biowheel.... Fish also seem more excited about this side of the tank. It is time to act: I am going to the fishstore and getting two 48 inchers with a glass top immediately!

2 comments:

Greg Turco said...

Phillippe has seen worse than this!

Do the fish always stay on the right side of the tank under the brighter light?

Michelle said...

They do not. They were just excited because I was over there to put it there. Maybe they liked it though. I didn't really stick around to look, because I was too busy taking down the other stupid hoods and returning them.

Phillippe is the only weirdo that has favorite hang out spots so far. Maybe they aren't big enough for the tank and are calling territories.