21 August 2008

Delightful Vegan Zucchini Bread!

This is basically the from this recipe I found on Allrecipes.com. Give credit where it's due. I changed it up some though!!!

Delightful Vegan Zucchini Bread (No Eggs, No Butter)
2 1/2 - 3 c shredded zucchini (basically a medium sized zucchini)
3 c fancy organic flour (I used spelt wheat and organic 1:1)
3 tbsp milled flax seeds
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 c brown sugar (or 1:1 brown:white)
1 c apple sauce
3/4 c vegetable oil (I used grapeseed)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp crystallized ginger

So!
Mix the flour, flax seeds, baking powders, salt & ginger together nicely.
Combine the oil, apple sauce, vanilla, and sugar together and mix until smooth.
Dump the wet stuff in with the dry stuff. Add the zucchini! Mix!
Bake at 325 for 70 min!

I like the ginger addition a lot. I would probably add more next time. When I made it, it wasn't quite vegan because I ran out of apple sauce and threw in some hard butter, which I was too lazy to melt, so there were smallish chunks of butter in the batter. I think this turned out well, though, because there are these soft gooey parts in the bread now that I think are from the butter chunks. Also, I might try to bake it at 350 instead of 325. What's the difference, right? This fit into a largish bread pan for me, I guess maybe people normally make smaller loafs of dessert breads, but whatever. FYI.

NEXT TIME: I think I want to have some zucchini chunks, so I'm going to roughly chop a fourth of it next time and shred the rest. ALSO, I think I want to try adding some rosemary, it felt like it could go for something green and garden-y in there. Honey might also be fun (But I don't have any because the bees are struggling right now, and I'm not sure what to do about that...). Oh! And I had delicious bars today with golden raisins in them, and I think that would definitely be fun! I didn't know golden raisins were so good in desserts! Maybe if I had golden raisens, I wouldn't do the zucchini chunks. Why do all my breads seem like they're going to end up as fruitloaf?

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Fruitbread - almost like fruitcake. And fruitcake is yummy, at least the kind without citron! And get the honey before it's gone or before the price is too high! There's no reason not to buy honey as long as it's available. Can you believe that someday honeybees could be gone entirely, and future people won't get to taste the wonders of honey? Real maple syrup is the next best thing, in my opinion. I use it every day (the maple syrup).

Jenny said...

One of my favorite desserts years ago was raisin bars, which I have an old recipe for. It called for regular dark raisins, but I'm sure you can use the golden ones too. Golden raisins seem to have an extra sweetness about them.