26 July 2008

I ain't 'fraid of no 'poo!

Sooooo. Many of you haven't heard of this particular movement, BUT there are people around the country abandoning shampoo for a more natural approach. I, myself, have officially been no 'poo for one week.

Day 2 of No 'Poo:


Why would someone do this, you might ask. Well, everyone has their own reasons. Personally, I was sold by a comment made on this blog by a woman who sounds like was in a similar situation to mine - could get curly hair with the use of a lot of product, but then when she went no 'poo, her hair ended up being in gorgeous shiny ringlets! I want shiny ringlets! So anyway, that was pretty much it for me, and since I'm off the boys right now, I figured now was the perfect time to go through an ugly phase, if my hair did turn gross and greasy and disgusting during the transition. Plus, its fun to experiment with different things sometimes. I mean, our hair didn't evolve to be shampooed everyday, so I figure something interesting will come of this, at least.

Day 4 of No 'Poo (Did a vinegar rinse the night before):


One of my initial concerns was that I didn't want to smell like a dirty head of dreadlocks. Not that all dreadlocks are dirty... But you know what I mean. I was assured by this article that my head wouldn't smell. After all, you do still "wash" it everyday in the sense that you get it wet and rinse it whatnot.

Day 5 of No 'Poo!:


So, during this week, I took a shower everyday and worked through my hair a lot with my fingers to try to distribute whatever grease was up there. At first, it just felt waxy more than greasy. I did a vinegar rinse (link above) on the night of the 3rd day, and the waxy feeling gave way almost instantly to a smoother, silkier feeling. As you can see, it fluffed up nicely everyday. Ever since I cut my hair shorter, I've been going for the super volumized curly sort of 80s look. I am pleased to say that I have been able to maintain this without shampoo OR any styling products whatsoever. Some other blog that I can't remember said that you can wash with a little commercial conditioner and that it will clean it up a little, so I actually did that the 5th day or so. I did another vinegar rinse the night of the 6th day. And then, this morning, one week after my last time shampooing, I tried the baking soda "wash" followed by a vinegar rinse. For those of you who are wondering - I actually also used styling products last night and it worked perfectly, super giant and curly ;)

Day 8 after no 'poo!:



I happen to think that I have the right kind of hair for this sort of thing - coarse, wavy, and lots of it. I think I will keep going with it for a while and see what happens. As a side note, I found FOUR gray hairs while checking out my head this week. Makes you think about your own mortality, that.

UPDATES:
2.5 weeks no 'poo
4 weeks no 'poo

1 comment:

BellaVoz said...

For more information on the No-poo methods go to www.naturallycurly.com. I love the tons of information you can get there, plus there is a homemade recipe forum which I often visit looking for new things to try on my curly locks.

As advised on that website, as part of a no-poo routine you need to make sure that you avoid silicones, proteins and any other ingredient in your hair products that are NOT water soluble. Although, the vinegar rinse helps to remove build up on your scalp. It is also a good idea to avoid any of those ingredients that "coat" your hair strands. Failing to do so, you would need a mild shampoo to take it off.

Personally, I try to avoid shampoos as much as possible. If I have to, I'll use Deva Curl, but currently I'm experimenting with homemade recipes to replace that (considering baking soda and castile soap mixed with honey, herbs and essential oils. I have naturally curly hair (type 3B according to the above website); it's very easy for me to have frizzy curls if I don't use the right stuff.