22 July 2008

Best Banana Bread on the Planet (No Eggs!)

I had overripe bananas but no eggs! Finally I found a recipe online that didnt call for eggs. I actually combined a couple recipes. This uses more banana than normal, so its extra yummy and moist. Also, you can add more sugar if you want.

No Egg Banana Bread

½ cup sugar (evaporated cane or brown)
½ cup butter (unsalted) VEGAN: Try using 1/2 c apple sauce & 1/2 c oil
4 bananas, mashed
2 cups flour (1 cup organic white & 1 cup whole wheat spelt)
½ tsp baking soda
¼ cup half & half VEGAN: soy/rice milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
Handful of diced dates
Handful of diced pecans

Preheat Oven to 350 F
Spray pan
Mix flour, baking soda, salt, spices
Cream softened butter and sugar together separately
Add mashed banana, milk, vanilla to creamed butter & sugar, Mix.
Combine wet and dry, mix well.
Add to pan
Bake 1 hr to 1 hr 10 min.

Glaze!: 1 c powdered sugar, 2 tbsp lemon juice, ½ tsp vanilla

Tip: I actually don't mash the last banana as much because I like the chunks of the banana in the bread.

I brought it to work and got compliments on it, this is really killer banana bread, people! In the future, I will try to replace some of the butter with "healthy" oil or apple sauce. ALSO, I do live in Boulder, CO, so I don't know if baking at sea level would change it or not.

Let me know how you guys like it!!! Especially if you did any recipe alterations or tried the vegan version.

No comments: