22 July 2008

Best Potato Mush Ever / Vegetarian Cottage Pie!


Potato Soup

Every Once in a While, I get a crazy thought like, ‘Maybe I’ll try a liquid-only diet!’ So I made this potato soup since I have all this stuff just sitting around. Turns out, its more semi-liquid than liquid but it is SO delicious.

5 smallish red potatoes
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
2 tbsp olive oil
half bag of frozen peas & carrots
1/2 bag of some flavor of instant potatoes (I had butter & herbs)
3/4 bag onion soup mix
1/4 – 1/2 c half & half
1/4 c butter (half a stick)
~2 c water
1 bay leaf
salt
pepper
minced garlic
parsley
dried chives
some chicken bouillon if you’re not veg – I cheated

Cook the potatoes, chop them up!
Soften up the onions in the olive oil, add the garlic at the last moment (~30 sec), before adding some water and potatoes.
Blend up about half this mixture until smoothish. Return to pot.
Add more water if needed, frozen peas & carrots and onion soup mix and bay leaf, heat until near boiling.
Add instant potatoes and stir around well.
Add half and half and butter and all the spices how you like them.
Heat and mix until everything is nice and yummy.

I eat mine cold or room temp because I heard the complex carbs are better that way and heating them up destroys them, but that may or may not be a myth. (Note: Wikipedia says its true, and they have a reference I'm too lazy to read right now) It’s excellent however you want it. IMO.

Cottage Pie!!!!

So, I took the leftovers of the above and made a lovely cottage pie type thing. Find some random savory pie recipe off the internet - make sure you don't overwork it like I do EVERYTIME - put it inside a pie tin or oven-safe bowl. Split the leftover potato mush into two - Mix one part with Quorn grounds in some pleasing ratio, put in the bottom of the pie crust. Overlay with remaining potato mush. The savory crust could use some salt or garlic sprinkled on it. This was very yummy, IMO.

No comments: