26 February 2010

Yesterday I went to the future and here I am!!


Here is a crazy article about baby universes popping out of old static high-entropy universes, like alpha particles popping out of nuclei. This doesn't seem that far-fetched to me. After all, the whole entropy thing is very interesting. We started out in our universe with very low entropy, everything ordered, and entropy can't help but get higher. So this baby universe idea sort of explains how it got low in the first place, but THEN where did the original static timeless universe come from? So, apparently this Sean Carroll guy is pretty cool. This all jives with my current viewing of the Cosmos series, which is AWESOME.

This sort of reminds me of a drunken conversation I had with a physicist in Vienna. He said anything that goes against entropy is considered to be life. We were arguing about whether viruses are alive. As a biochemist, I sort of see how this is a very convenient argument, but I STILL don't think viruses are alive. They wouldn't be working against entropy if they didn't have any cells full of established life machinery to infect and they would eventually succumb to entropy themselves.

No comments: