13 January 2014

Vegan Nachos!!!! & Sour Cream

Had some success today with Vegan Nachos. Inspired by the delicious nachos at Native Cafe, we thought, we can do this at home!!

Blue corn tortillas
Daiya cheddar shreds
black beans
black olives
Quorn grounds (sautéed with taco seasoning if you have time)

Arrange in layers to your desire.

On the side:
Salsa
Vegan Sour Cream

I altered this recipe from food.com by adding Nutritional Yeast, which I think adds a sort of "animal" flavor that it was missing. What with yeasts being eukaryotes and all.

Vegan Sour Cream
1 block silken tofu (16 oz)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small lemon, juiced or 5 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp apple cidar vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast

I blended up the liquids and 1/4 of the tofu, and then added the rest of the tofu a little at a time as it blended up. I used an immersion blender. The key to this is really the silken tofu, which breaks apart really easily and is so soft. The texture was great!

All in all, the flavors melded together into a very replica of some of my favorite nachos in town. Something about the olives I think!

The Daiya shreds are important, they are currently my favorite fake cheese. If you're going vegan, it's important to have useful tools to help you stay strong! Another one of my tricks is my recipe for Cheezy Sprinkles, which I would put on anything that I otherwise would have grated cheese on for flavor.

Cheezy Sprinkles
2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp sumac (optional)
1/2 tsp white pepper

The sumac is totally optional, and I only included it because I have it around. I'm still unsure as to what the flavor is, but supposedly its good for you!

No comments: