31 January 2009

.... Crucifixion is kind of a gross word


AND it gets even grosser when you read about it and the various ways you can nails the hands/arms up. Different locations for the insertions of nails and angles, etc. And the we turn to the actual way people die when they are fucking nailed or tied to a pole, which could take hours to days, apparently. Gross. And EW, sometimes they broke the legs to hasten death, especially if the arms were tied directly overhead. And then the remains were usually left to decay on the cross, although there has been ONE archaeological finding of a crucified body. The nail found in his heel bone had olive wood fragments on it, which means that he was crucified AT EYE LEVEL because olive trees are not very tall!!!! GROSS. Oh god, there are other gross parts about how there was a piece of wood holding the nail on his foot, so he couldn't SLIDE HIS FOOT OFF THE HEAD OF THE NAIL.

The wikipedia article also says there is crucifixion imagery in Final Fantasys 7, 8 & 10, but I don't remember anything like that in 7, the only one I actually finished.

AND.... The reason why I am even thinking about this in the first place is that I have been listening to the Jesus Christ Superstar movie soundtrack for the past couple days. Of course, I should be reading journal articles about Type 3 Secretion in gram-negative bacteria, but...



My two favorite songs are "Heaven on their Minds" and "Gethsemane," like, by far, but I figure JC Superstar is a classic. Dude, those ladies know how to dance. AND I love Judas' voice. Man, Andrew Lloyd Webber was a freaking genius. Also, here is a strange 2000 version of "Heaven on Their Minds" that sort of reminds me of daytime soap operas.

AND THEN!!!! Ted Neely is touring in JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR in a city near you, RIGHT NOW!!!! GO! Ted Neeley has been playing Jesus Christ longer than Jesus was alive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE JCS... Gethsemane is by far my favorite... back when I was going to church and stuff I looked at that and thought "hey... this Jesus guy was a real guy..." Him questioning God why he had to die... of course I knew it was Andrew Lloyd Weber and Tim Rice writing it, but still...

"Can you show me now that would not be killed in vain. Show me just a little of your omnipresent brain. Show there's a reason for your wanting me to die. You're far too keen on how and where and not so hot on why."

Anyways I always envisioned how I'd put that song on if I was directing the play... I'd have like a spotlight on Jesus and he's singing to the spotlight... and when he concedes to let them kill him... that musical crescendo before it goes subdued again... during that I'd show images of various artistic representations of the crucifixion on a screen behind him.

Anyways... I always thought the original cast album was MUCH better than the movie...

Anonymous said...

Hey! I forgot that's what they actually do in the movie... I swear I had that idea before I saw the movie... My parents had the album and I used to listen to it all the time...