20 November 2008

This Shit is Incredible


This is a series of electron microscopy pictures of nanoshit, plants and bugs. This stuff is mind blowing to me, and I'll tell you why. You can see WHOLE cells in some of these. Like, hey, theres a cell. In some of the pictures, there are reference structures that are delineated as, say, 50 microns. Now, I crystallize proteins in 2 uL drops, in which, I can sometimes get 50 micron crystals... So I almost feel like I may be able to see the 50 micron crystals in the drops, and I at least can imagine how big they are... SO, now I feel like... I can imagine how big a plant cell is. Another crazy thing is the sharpness of some of the insect structures. ALSO, the cells of the compound eye that they show. Also keep in mind that the whole insects and bacteria they show are ALIVE (Well, not for the microscopy, but they used to be alive). It's crazy. Just crazy shit. Isn't our world fabulous!?

No comments: